Bad cop.

/
0 Comments
Like a lot of other families, I'm sure, we have moments where it takes both parents to try and handle some situations. This morning K overslept. You would have thought it was the end of the world. She's missed whole days and not had a problem with it, but for some reason being late to school is apparently one of the worst things that can happen to her.

Her alarm didn't go off. It's happened to all of us, right? I woke her up 15 minutes AFTER she usually leaves the house to walk to school with the neighbor girl. Immediately, the howling begins. She becomes a 2-year-old, sitting in the middle of her floor surrounded by piles of clothes "I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!!" Screaming and crying ensue. "THERE'S NOTHING!" I suggest several tops. "I'm not wearing THAT!" Naturally, I lose it. I'm screaming right back at her, telling her she needs to calm down and stop acting like a baby. This doesn't help one bit of course.

I go to the basement and go through laundry, find her another suitable shirt. "NO WAY!" she screams. OMG at his point I'm ready to strangle her. She's freaking about walking in late, having to walk through the gym to take her cheer bag (which a class is already going on, gasp!) We're arguing about how she thinks bullying is so much worse than when I was a kid (NOT!) and I don't understand (YEAH, RIGHT.) I tell her if they're going to bully her about anything, it's the two-year-old tantrum she's throwing, and I banish her to the bathroom to calm herself down.

When I come back upstairs, hubby is talking to her through the bathroom door and gets her calmed down. Next thing I know he's holding her and telling her it'll be okay...

So, when did I become the bad cop? I feel like I used to be the one who knew how to calm them, handling situations like this without losing my cool. Somewhere along the way, I've lost that. While I'm glad they have such a wonderful good-cop daddy to console them, I miss the days where that was me. They ran to me to solve problems. They expected me to kiss their boo-boos.

I guess that's one more thing I need to work on.


You may also like

No comments: