Holiday traditions

/
2 Comments
Sing along with me: "It's beginning to look a lot like Christ-mas!" :o)

It really is. It seems like people around here are starting to decorate earlier and earlier each year. It used to be right after Thanksgiving, but this year we started seeing lights on November 1st! Now, I like Christmas, but that seems a bit early to me... Anyway, we stuck with our tradition and started over Thanksgiving weekend. The tree is up, the stockings are hung, and white twinkling lights adorn the outside of our home. I just love any excuse for white twinkling lights - they're so pretty!
Another of our usual traditions is going to visit Santa. This usually takes place in the middle of a packed mall, but this year we decided to try something different. We went to visit him in his little house on the square downtown. It just felt a lot more "real" or something. It's hard to explain. We live near and work in this small town community, and the older I get, the more it feels right to me. There is no mall, no big name stores (other than the necessary Walmart), and it just seems like a warmer, more natural place to be. Rather then the mall craziness, restless sweaty children and expensive train ride, we enjoyed a glittery small town "Santa village", complete with free cookies & hot cocoa, followed by a free horse-drawn carriage ride through downtown. Let's just say that I think we've started yet another tradition... (Hopefully Bug will be brave enough to sit with him next year so Daddy can stay out of the shot! lol :o)


You may also like

2 comments:

~ Mama said...

Wow what a beautiful tree!!! Yup, I've been reading you for a while, but never wanted to post comments with you having no clue who I am lol. I enjoy reading you, sound like me sometimes:)

Robin said...

That is a gorgeous pic, Ang. I agree with the avoidance of malls. We have a cool store here that is VERY popular, (though not quite as packed as a mall) called North Pole City. It has tons of trees decorated and millions of ornaments and Christmas doohickies for sale and truly makes your jaw drop when you first walk in. The Santa there reads a story to the kids and you can buy (expensive) portrait packages of your child on his knee. He has the right beard and everything though so that is a definite plus. :) I'm so glad you guys had such a wonderful day. The Christmas themed page looks wonderful!!!!