"Lolly-gagger"

/
0 Comments

Our oldest daughter is and always has been what I call a "lolly-gagger". Let's just say she takes her time on just about anything she's doing. Not only does it take tons of "prompting" to even get her to do the basics of getting out the door in a timely manner each day, she is the slowest eater I've ever met and a procrastinator to beat all (NO idea where she gets THAT from...)

Now, I TRY to be patient with her and accept that it's just who she is but let me tell you, it's not always easy. Not a morning goes by that I don't want to just scream "EAT FASTER! WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG IN THE BATHROOM?! WHY DOES IT TAKE YOU 20 MINUTES TO PUT ON YOUR SOCKS?!?!?!?!?"... and somedays, I'll admit, I do. But I am trying to learn to be more accepting and just start getting up earlier, grit my teeth & bear with her.

Part of it is that she's just such a daydreamer. Which is totally me at her age, so how can I critisize? I often think about that line in that movie "Stepmom" where the mother is decribing her daughter "You can never rush her - she'll come in her own time"... and try to take that to heart. It's just her personality. Has been from the very start. It took us 11 months to concieve her, then 36 hours of labor before they finally had to go in and get her. She takes HER time. Does things HER way. And as much as you argue, encourage & plead, that never seems to change. And that's okay. She'll get there eventually. Even if it kills me.


You may also like

No comments: